CHRISTIANA FOGLIO OF COMMUNITY INVESTMENT STRATEGIES, INC. NAMED PANELIST FOR N.J. APARTMENT SUMMIT
Event to Draw Statewide Professionals for Education Forums and Networking
SUMMIT, N.J., Oct. 19, 2011 – Christiana Foglio, founder/owner and chief executive officer of Community Investment Strategies (CIS), Inc., has been named a panelist at the first New Jersey Apartment Summit, to be held on Wednesday, November 2. The full-day event, being hosted at the Grand Summit Hotel in Summit, N.J., is expected to attract more than 300 attendees.
Foglio will participate in a one-hour session beginning at 10:45 a.m. entitled: “Urban Multifamily: Fact, Fiction & Alternative Finance Solutions.” The program will bring together the region’s leading investors and developers who specialize in urban housing to discuss its unique rewards. Key topics will include:
- Analysis and review of cap rates, rental rates and vacancy rates of urban multifamily
- Compare and contrast ROI on urban vs. suburban: Why urban (often distressed and underperforming) multifamily, often overlooked, may be the sage alternative for long-term rental growth and ROI
- Should multifamily investors consider distressed and underperforming assets?
- Investing in urban multifamily a means to not only boost ROI, but to drive urban revitalization and subsequent economic and CRE industry growth
- Analysis and review of existing tax credits: What are the measures not currently in place that would incentivize new developers to buy and build affordable?
- How can investors and developers use existing tax credits and incentives to their advantage?
- Affordable housing positioning in the overall investment portfolio: A stable, long-term investment opportunity
- How and why baby boomers will drive new multifamily growth
- Rising Opportunity and Submarkets: What are the “top 5” urban markets today? And what will be the “top 10” markets in 2012, 2013 and beyond?
- Mixed use opportunities: Affordable and urban housing with a retail component
Foglio was selected as a featured panelist along with executives from Roseland Property Company, The Pegasus Group, Urban Word, LLC, and Terracycle Investments/Canus Corp.
The event will feature more than 40 industry panelists representing the investment, development, financing, brokerage, management and technology sectors. For more information, visit the event website at http://apartmentsummit.com/nj/.
Since its founding by Foglio in 1994 as a woman-owned business, CIS has developed a broad spectrum of multi-family properties, ranging from garden apartments to mid- and hi-rise complexes, valued in excess of $350 million. The company’s diverse portfolio includes more than 2,000 apartment-rental units located throughout New Jersey.
As CEO, Foglio spearheads and oversees all of the company’s development, construction and property management activities related to multi-family housing and mixed-use redevelopments. An industry veteran with more than 25 years experience in the private and public sectors, she specializes in real estate developments and housing initiatives that reflect each community’s vision, needs and character.
“Now is the best time to look at who needs housing within New Jersey’s municipalities and what can be gained by utilizing affordable housing as a tool to address critical issues and existing conditions to make an entire community better for all residents,” said Foglio.
Prior to forming CIS, Foglio served on behalf of two New Jersey governors as executive director of the New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency. In this role, she was responsible for more than $1 billion in multi-family bond financing and creating the state’s Housing Policy. She also served as chairperson of the New Jersey Council on Affordable Housing and as director of policy planning and economic development for the City of New Brunswick, where she is credited with creating the foundation for New Brunswick’s economic rebirth.
Foglio is a graduate of Rutgers University, where she earned a bachelor of arts in economics and a master’s degree in city and regional planning, with a concentration in housing finance and economic development. A licensed planner in the State of New Jersey, she is a highly sought-after guest speaker who has garnered numerous business and industry awards, including the PlanSmart NJ Van Zandt Community Involvement Award; Urban Land Institute’s Edward J. Bloustein Award for Exemplary Achievement in Civic Leadership; New Jersey Business of the Year; Top Woman-Owned Business in New Jersey; and was named among the Top Women in Business.